So before beginning, what exactly is a long shoe horn? Also known as a shoe-spooner sometimes, it is basically a device or a tool that allows the user to put on his shoes in an easier manner. Now there are many different types of shoe horns that are available in the market, each with its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages.
How It Works
The way it works is that it is inserted partially into the shoe through the opening. And when it does, it provides a smooth surface for the foot of the person to slide just in without any problems. The biggest issue when wearing a shoe is with the heel of a shoe. This device takes care of that without having to destroy completely the counter of the shoe which is so often the case.
About Shoe Horns
At the very beginning, shoe horns were made out of animal horns, hooves, and other body parts as well. Nowadays things have changed, and different materials are used for achieving the same result. However, you can still buy the ones made before as antics. Be beware that they are pretty expensive and can be very hard to find.
Today, the materials used for making a long shoe horn are very different. Artificial materials are used instead of animal parts. Some of them include:
These are some of the cheaper shoe horns that you will find on the market. Some of the expensive ones are made from:
As far as sizes are concerned, shoehorns come in different varieties. The basic shape remains pretty much the same. The only significant difference among various models is the length of the handle that it comes with. For long boots, you will find long handled shoe horns. For shoes that need more flexibility, you will find leather shoe horns and so on.
Why Use It?
Why you should spend a good chunk of money for completing a task that can easily be achieved without it. You may not realize it, but a shoe horn serves purposes other than to ease your foot through the shoe. Without a shoe horn, these are 2 of the options that you will have at your disposal:
- Using your finger to stretch the back of your shoe and putting your foot in.
- Choosing not to use your fingers and forcefully pushing your foot through.
Both these options have their issues. For instance, the first one will stretch your shoe in unwanted areas. This can cause misfits in the future. The second alternative will undoubtedly crush the counter (the vertical part at the end of the shoe) of your shoe.
Both of them cause damage to the underlying structure of the shoe. A flimsy counter particularly is appalling for you since it is no longer able to provide the adequate amount of support to your heel and arch, thus causing overpronation and excessive stress. This is why you need a shoe horn to prevent any of this from happening.
As mentioned before, a shoe horn is made of quite a different amount of materials. Here are some of the pros and cons of using one made of metal.
- One of the primary advantages of using a metal shoe horn is its durability. Things made out of metal tend to last for a long time (provided you keep it from rusting). That is no exception for a shoe horn either.
- Another thing to look out for is the sleekness in design that very few other materials can match.
- The smoothness that a metal surface provides is also unparalleled.
- Because of all of its positive aspects, shoe horns made of metal tend to have a higher cost in the market compared to other materials.
- Also, you will find that they are significantly heavier than other shoe horns. That is particularly the case for a long handled horn.
- Last but not the least; it is not suitable for booths that require a flexible shoe horn. This works both ways since its sturdiness can work in its favor as well.
Long handled shoe horns are usually used for long boots which require an extensive reach to function properly. As such, here are some of the good and the bad that you will get.
- Without question, the best aspect of a long handled shoe horn is the vast reach it provides for users. When wearing long boots and other shoes which require such a tool, it provides a clear cut advantage.
- Depending on the material it is made out of, it can be very durable in nature as well. This is particularly the case if it is made of hardwood like oak or maple or walnut.
- The excessive length of the shoe horn can also be a disadvantage because it definitely makes it hard to carry it around, thus rendering it unportable for the most part.
- Weight can also prove to be an issue because of its long length.
The leather long shoe horn is also a pretty well-known product in the market. After all, it has a lot going on for it. But it also has a lot of disadvantages as well. Here are some of them.
- The main reason why people like leather shoe horns is because of their flexibility. When dealing with sturdy shoes, a flexible shoe horn is required to get things into a fit.
- Because of their flexibility, they also tend to be very portable in nature as well. You can just fold them up and carry it with you.
- If the quality of the leather is bad, you will find that folding causes permanent creases on the shoe horn. Overall durability is also reduced.
- The leather is also very expensive in nature, making it unaffordable for some.
That pretty much covers everything you need to know about a long shoe horn and its types. If you need to buy one, make sure you read this up beforehand.